Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Interesting Facts about the 97th Infantry Division

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bonvell97th
Captain
Captain

Interesting Facts about the 97th Infantry Division Empty
PostSubject: Interesting Facts about the 97th Infantry Division   Interesting Facts about the 97th Infantry Division I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 7:20 pm

Interesting Facts about the 97th Infantry Division 8bd0cdde18369bd1b004671e4677346d8fd6bfc5_full
The 97th Division's colorful and distinctive insignia was originally designed to represent Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire, the states from which the personnel was drawn for the first 97th. The states are bordered in part by the Atlantic Ocean, hence Neptune's Trident imposed on a Saxon shield. The three prongs of the Trident represent the three states. The blue of the shield represents the azure of their numerous fresh water lakes, the white of the border and trident, the snows that cover these states' picturesque mountains.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The 97th Infantry Division was credited with firing the last official shot in the European Theatre of Operations during World War II. This shot was fired by Company B, 387 Regiment on the night of May 7th, 1945 near Pilsen, Czechoslovakia, ending the greatest war in the history of mankind (Sgt. Nathan Hartfeil of Company B, 387th Infantry Regiment, 97th Division, fired at a German sniper near Klenovice, Czechoslovakia shortly before midnight, May 7, 1945.). At a recent reunion, a committee of WWII Veterans from Company B concluded that an appropriate marker, to commemorate the “Last Shot”, be erected in the Memorial Park at Ft. Benning, Georgia. This monument will serve to preserve the memory of the historic role played by the 97th Infantry Division in that conflict. The memorial is made of black granite with a bas relief of an M-1 rifle, symbolic of laying down of arms and the end of war. Appropriate inscriptions are shown on the sides recognizing all military services that contributed in bringing the WWII hostilities to an end. The committee raised the funds from individual veterans, veterans’ organizations, businesses and other organizations. The monument was erected and was dedicated October 12, 2000. Homer Knight, of B Company, 387th Infantry, made the Dedication speech.

Interesting Facts about the 97th Infantry Division Monument4
Back to top Go down
Plaugher97th
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Plaugher97th

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Facts about the 97th Infantry Division   Interesting Facts about the 97th Infantry Division I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 2:12 pm

Quote :
(Sgt. Nathan Hartfeil of Company B, 387th Infantry Regiment, 97th Division, fired at a German sniper near Klenovice, Czechoslovakia shortly before midnight, May 7, 1945.)
I love how Hartfeil time traveled back to 1945 to take a shot at a German sniper.
Back to top Go down
Hartfeil97th
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Hartfeil97th

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Facts about the 97th Infantry Division   Interesting Facts about the 97th Infantry Division I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Very Happy it took you guys long enough to notice
Back to top Go down
Hartfeil97th
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Hartfeil97th

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Facts about the 97th Infantry Division   Interesting Facts about the 97th Infantry Division I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:05 pm

its was actually PFC Domenic Mozzetta
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Facts about the 97th Infantry Division   Interesting Facts about the 97th Infantry Division I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting Facts about the 97th Infantry Division
Page 1 of 1